At the end of the 19th century, this 72 acre patch of real estate included only a few acres of vineyard, with most of the area being dedicated to cropping and dairy cattle. At the start of the 1930's Oscar Semmler bought the block and more vineyards were planted, but it remained primarily a grazing area for dairy purposes. Oscar's son Ken returned to the Barossa Valley in the early 1970's and in 1975, Ken started the planting of the beloved Shiraz. It is this first area of Shiraz which provides the precious component of Dutschke Wines. Currently forty five acres are planted with Shiraz making up one third of that area, the balance including Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Chardonnay. Most of the fruit gets passed onto other Barossa winemakers. In 1990 Ken and his son Wayne decided to keep some of these grapes for themselves and start producing wine of their own from this vineyard under the brand "WillowBend". Production never intended to be a big time operation, with the bulk of the fruit each year being delivered to the Krondorf and Mildara Blass Winemakers. Then with the 1998 vintage release, interest from the US led to the name being changed to Dutschke Wines.