Johann Christian Hahn and his wife Maria arrived in South Australia in January 1839. They sailed on the ‘Catherina’ from Hamburg, being Lutherans from the area of Posen in what was then Prussia. In 1845, Christian purchased land in the Barossa Valley in the Siegersdorf-Dorrien area, north of Tanunda and the family settled there in 1846.
Early settlers to the Barossa were able to stake out the best of the valley’s farmland and the Hahns also seized the opportunity. They would have operated a mixed farm with the first vines planted on the property in 1914 by Hermann Hahn (3rd generation). By the 1970s, the property was fully planted with vines.
Grape growing became the Hahn family way of life and six generations later, James and Jackie Hahn continued that legacy, living and working on the land originally purchased by Christian Hahn.
In 1997, James and Jackie decided to produce their own range of red wines and teamed up with Barossa winemaker, Rolf Binder for the winemaking. The JJ Hahn label was born.
Over the years the brand grew quickly, with wines such as the 1914 and 1918 Shiraz wines receiving noteworthy accolades. In 2010, the Hahns retired from the business and Rolf Binder retained co-ownership of the brand, winemaking and vineyard management.
Rolf Binder continues to make the wines under the same label and has grown the business to export JJ Hahn wines into many countries. It’s a range of classic Barossa reds that represent exceptional drinkability and value.
The '1928' Shiraz is an outstanding example of Barossa Valley old vine shiraz, made from vines planted in 1928.Winemaker, Rolf Binder, has crafted an opulently styled red. The wine was kept for 2 years in wood and then bottle aged before release.
The acclaimed '1914' Shiraz. Made by Rolf Binder from vines planted in 1914 by Hermann Hahn (great grandfather of James) on the Hahn Homestead property located in the heart of the Barossa Valley between Tanunda and Nuriootpa. A genuine old vine planting such as this is quite rare, hence the unique flavours and seal of authenticity.